Recipient of Arts Council Travel Award
Megan O’ Beirne is a graduate of University College Dublin (M.A H.Dip) and DLIADT (Fine Arts). She lives and works in Gorey Co. Wexford. She has had solo photographic exhibtions in Italy, Treviso 2002 and Trieste, 2004 , on the occasion of the Joycean commemorative celebrations at the University there. Also she has exhibited at the James Joyce Centre, Dublin 2004-2005. Her Joycean photographs were licensed to the National Library in 2004/05. She has also had solo photographic exhibitions in Wexford, Dublin and Birr in 2007/08 and has participated in group exhibtions in Banff, Canada and Rekjavic, Iceland in 2007. She was the recipient of an Arts Council Travel Award in 2007 and has had residencies in Canada and Iceland. O’ Beirne is also a co-founder of the art group KUBE (2001-2006), she exhibited her paintings with the group in China and at several Art Centres In Ireland. Her work was selected for EIGSE in 2005.
Click on the images below to see the works within the Collection
The Bite of Time: The Hook Photographs
“Erosion of the physical world and of its many precious resources, especially in the context of climate change, has been the spur to my creative activity in recent years and has led me to many far-flung countries, such as Iceland, Canada and Japan.
The Hook Peninsula, County Wexford exposed as it is to the battering elements of wind and sea exemplifies this continuous change. Winter gales hone the outcrops and the raging waters ‘discover’ deep caverns in the rocks. This relentless unraveling of the physical world is both shocking and exhilarating s new beauties reveal themselves in an increasingly precarious world.
In this context the Black and White Photographs emphasise the dramatic rock formations and other natural and man-ade geometries in the immediaite environment of the Hook Lighthouse including the harbor village of Slade.” – Megan O’ Beirne on The Bite of Time series within the Wexford County Council Art Collection.
The photographs were hand-printed by O’ Beirne usint the traditional methods.
- Dublin Libraries, 2008
- Banff centre, Canada, 2007
- Reykjavik, Iceland, 2006
- Eigse, Carlow, 2005
- Garter Lane Waterford, Kube group show, 2004
- KUBE exhibition at the Courthouse Arts Centre Tinahely, Co. Wicklow 2, 2003
- “ENGRAMS” Kube group exhibition, Mermaid Arts Centre Gallery, Bray, Co. Wicklow, 2003
- Photographic exhibition “Tarry Easty – James Joyce in Trieste” at the James Joyce Centre, 35 Nth. Gt. George’s St. Dublin 1, 2003
- Wexford Arts Centre “ENGRAMS” Kube group exhibition, 2003
- Selected Art Exhibition, photographs, Wicklow Co. Council, 2002
- Selected Art Exhibition, Wexford General Hospital, Healing Arts Trust, 2002
- ”Play of Light” art photographs exhibition at Arman, Treviso, Italy, 2002
- Selected Art Exhibition Wexford General Hospital Healing Arts Trust, 2001
- “Paintings for Pleasure” – a two-woman exhibition with Chris Atkins at the Bothán Bán Gallery, Ballymoney, Courtown, Co. Wexford, 2001
- Solo Exhibition at the Wexford Heritage Centre, Ferrycarraig, Co. Wexford, 1999
- Office of Public Works (OPW)
- Private collections in Ireland, UK, and Spain